40 Years | June 16
An improvised auditory experiment blending black classical music with audio archive material of interviews with people who witnessed the Soweto Student Uprising in 1976, piecing together a narrative of events as they unfolded on the day.
A commemoration of the class of ’76 and forty years on, a reflection on the current state of South Africa.
Info & Credits
Streamed live on 23 November 2014.
On the Wax – Radio Robert
Audio archive clips – Kool oNe Ebony
Cover Design: Vusi Hlatywayo
Peace to Malose Malahlela and Meghan Judge for inviting us to take part in the occasion ….. mucho appreciated…….we had fun!
Thanks to Rangoato Hlasane for pointing us in the direction of a certain, unnamed library of audio archive material…. which we may or may not have surreptitiously raided ……..
Extra special shout out to our partner in crime, Kagiso Mnisi ……. who teamed up with us for this project …… working with you is always a true pleasure …..
Apparently you can download the show HERE
- Philip Cohran and the Artistic Heritage Ensemble – On The Beach (Tizona Records, Reissue… initially released in very limited numbers on Cohran’s own Zulu Records in 1967)
- Anthony Davis – A Walk Through The Shadows (Gramavision, 1981)
- Rahsaan Roland Kirk – Salvation and Reminiscing (Atlantic, 1973)
- Joseph Jarman – Don Moye (featuring Johnny Dyani) – Humilty In The Light Of The Creator (Black Saint Records, 1980)
- Art Ensemble of Chicago – Old Time Religion (Soul Jazz Records, 2009…. initially released on BYG Actuel, 1969)